Vicky P. is a Polish-born, English- and German-raised, US-educated English language teacher living in Berlin. She maintains an excellent Tumblr called When You’re A Third Culture Kid. She’s really good at the Internet.
Vicky was kind enough to answer some questions about how she gets her news. If you don’t work in news, live outside of DC/NYC, and would like to participate, let me know. (Rest of series is here)
1. How do you get your news?
**2. What instrument do you play? **
currently none (past: saxophone, drums, piano)
3. What do you think is the best middle name?
Elizabeth for a girl, Slagathor for a boy.
4. Who’s doing it right in news?
Late night talk show hosts — with humor. Tumblr — with conviction and passion (and a lot of teen angst). Anything that’s easily shared.
5. What’s the first news event that you remember?
Princess Diana’s death (I was living in Manchester, England at the time and, on the day of her funeral, was wondering why no one was outside playing)
6. What was the best thing that happened to you this week?
Someone told me I was wonderful.
7. Where do you live? Region is fine. City is better, but optional.
Berlin, Germany, Europe, the Northern Hemisphere, the World, the Solar System, etc. etc.
8. What do you absolutely hate about the news?
Sensationalist reporting and the clamoring of news agencies to be the first to break the story–whether or not they have all the facts.